If you see warning popup on your PC, you should know you have double clicked on a ransomware attachment and you may be losing everything.
It’s probably too late but do not panic…. The Window is there to assist! Call our help desk immediately.
Preventing this situation in the first place:
We would like to think that prevention is better than cure. We suggest that you:
- Install Anti-virus software to try and counter these attacks ( we have some products we can recommend)
- Backup all your data (every Day!!!)
- Do not open emails from strange email addresses, with weird attachments
- Do not open attachments or click on unknown links
- Do not double-click on email attachments that don’t make obvious sense i.e. a post office tracking email when you clearly know you have not shipped anything ( obvious stuff like that tends to get overlooked)
- Do not download software from torrent sites
- Never disable anti-virus or anti-malware software
If it is too late, and you clicked the attachment or link, you have 3 options:
- Recover what is lost from your amazing backups which you should have with us
- Pay the ransom
- Say goodbye to all your data
We have seen a few companies that have been attacked by ransomware. Luckily, they had our backups running, which keeps the last 5 versions (versions meaning, a number of times you have updated file or document) of your data. If you are attacked, everything is wiped for that day and the data is restored from the previous versions.
At the end of the day, ransomware is constantly changing and evolving, so it is very hard to be actively protected all the time, the best solution is to have an adequate backup (not an attached portable drive or USB Stick).